Office: 0194-2461914
Mob:+91-9419033789
Email:Info@Luminouskashmir.com

Shankaracharya Temple

Shankaracharya temple, located on the hill known as Takht-e-Suleima, is at a height of 1,100 ft above surface level. The temple was believed to be constructed in 371 BC by Raja Gopadatya, who gave it the name Gopadri.

In addition, it was also believed that Shankaracharya, the great philosopher used to stay at this temple when he visited Kashmir in order to revive Sanatan Dharma. According to the legend, it is believed that this incident took place ten centuries ago.

Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this temple is believed to be the oldest shrine in the Kashmir valley. This temple has undergone several repairs with its first repair to have been done under the reign of Lalitaditya. After the temple was damaged in an earthquake, its second repair was done by Zain-ul-Abideen.

During the Governorship of Sheikh Mohi-ud-Din, all the repairs of this temple were carried out. Stone steps that form a part of the passage to this temple were constructed by Maharaja Gulab Singh, who was a Dogra ruler. On the other hand, in 1925, the electrification of this temple was done.

The temple is visited by large number of travellers owing to its architecture as well. This temple is supported by a high octagonal platform, which can be approached by a flight of hundred steps. In addition, tourists visiting the temple can also see a Persian inscription inside, which dates back to the reign of Emperor Shah Jahan.